Thursday, November 8, 2007

Yahoo! I'm Done!

Now I have September done. Doesn't it look like September and
back-to-school days? Mind you, that was when school started in September for everyone; we didn't have year-round school and kids didn't start in August before Labor Day.

When I was out of kindergaarten and ready for "real" school my mother bought me my own lunch box. In those days this brown and whitish weave metal box with a Thermos was the best thing going. We didn't have cartoon characters or Disney movie themes on our boxes. We were very happy not to be carrying a brown bag! (At least in those very early grades- later a brown bag was more "cool"). So my first special memory here is first grade.

My second memory depicted here is a saddle oxford shoe. Most of you will recognize them but perhaps never have had them. When I was going into the sixth grade I asked for these shoes. I guess it's time to confess I was a bit nerdish or at least a bit different- my family says I live in a different world than most people (okay, than everyone). Most kids wouldn't have been caught dead in these shoes in sixth grade. Some of the girls were moving to flats and no socks but not me! No way! I wanted black and white oxfords. We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up so we got only one pair of shoes for school, perhaps a winter dress pair at Christmas and a spring dress pair at Easter. That's it. So picking shoes for school was a big deal and I would have to wear whatever I got. My parents gave in and I got the saddle oxfords. I tell you, I wore them happily for the whole year. Maybe I was just a bit different and not too strange as no one ever laughed at me; I was accepted well enough, just not the popular one.

I liked my lunch box and shoes so much that when my kids were in school they got their own fancier lunch boxes and my daughter got a pair of saddle oxfords. She hated them! She still reminds me to this day how much she hated them!! Every child it seems, comes with their own likes and dislikes-it's not all taught.

Now, on to October! I know we are in November already. I am trying to catch up but time isn't cooperating. It keeps moving forward no matter how hard I try to stop it for a bit!

8 comments:

SueU said...

Great page for September, I too was not the most popular person in school and I had saddle oxfords two years in a row.

KV said...

Wonderful memory page again -- I, too, had saddle shoes which I loved until they had to be polished!

Kathy V in NM

Hélène H said...

I love it !

Grace said...

Love it! Great page, I especially like the lunch box.

Kiwi Ellen said...

Another fun page - your lunch box & shoes are perfect!!

ACey said...

that's an awesome memory piece. Love hte colors and design.

Sacredartist said...

I loved hearing about your shoes. You are so fortunate to have parents that allowed you to be you, even if that was different from everyone. Your journal pages have been a lot of fun to read and are well executed in beads.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just popped in to say hello! I can do that now that my internet works so well! I think it's God's sense of humor that he gives us children that are so different in some ways than us!

Love, Tena