Friday, December 7, 2007

October in December!


Well here it is - October is done!
This is a picture of the big old bean pot my mother had. It was never used for baking beans. Instead it was brought out on Halloween for us kids to put the candy we collected into. Then we would all share the candy. It was a big pot but with eight people in our family it seemed the candy didn't go far enough.
Halloween has changed a bit through the years. My mother remembered moving outhouses in her day. (I bet people were not too happy about that). In my day, one of my older sisters (no names will be mentioned) showed us how to soap the windows of people who weren't home. Hey, this was a mild trick for no treat! Now, the kids go around with their parents if they go trick or treating at all.
I used a picture of the bean pot my sister Kathy sent me. I beaded right over the picture and then removed the picture by bits with a needle nose tweezer. It was great to work over the picture but not fun to remove later. Still, I would use this method again if I want a more realistic picture when I am done. I didn't have any disc shaped beads for the suckers so I made some of the candy out of Sculpey polymer clay. I am quite happy with the way this page turned out.
Now, on to November and December!!

10 comments:

Grace said...

I love it! It all looks so real, really nice job.

Hélène H said...

It's lovely, and there's amazing details.

artandtea said...

What a nice memory from Halloweens past. Great detail in the beanpot and I love your polymer clay lollipops. Wonderful job!
-Karen

Any Smith said...

Isn't it a challenge to work from a photo? I'm glad you told us how you did it (although I would like to see a picture before you tediously removed the photo with tweezers) so that we can try it ourselves.

I love the candy, too. Out of necessity comes invention!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cyndi L said...

Oh I love it love it love it! I love those precious items from childhood that our mothers "repurposed" for something sweet like this :-)

vivage said...

I love the memory of sharing the candy. The beanpot is great, the candies are perfect.

I think you've captured the jug beautifully with the perfect beading.

Beading Butterfly said...

Very nice!

KV said...

That beanpot is wonderful!


Kathy V in NM

Anonymous said...

What the heck is a bean pot anyway?
It does look great, though, as usual!


Love, Tena

JoTee said...

I just love the bean pot & the story behind it, thanks for sharing...huggies