Friday, October 10, 2008

Decision Time


Well I have looked at and considered all the suggestions so many of you offered. Mariasangel, I'm sorry but you can't have the large size piece! I really thought about sending it to you but there are too many options still open to me. I liked the idea of keeping the larger one going instead of ripping it out. I really don't like to rip but more than that, I rather liked what I had going!
Alternating the sizes every other month has some merit too with the other idea of adding a background to the smaller ones so they seem as large as the larger ones. That is still an option I will keep in mind. This month my focal bead had been the frog bead I made as a real quickie project due to a question on either Bead and Button or Beading Daily (I can't remember which) where the question was asked about the kind of resin you use. I have on hand some Delta Air-Dry PermEnamel Clear Gloss Glaze which I love and so tried it out on a smashed bottle cap. I did both sides but the side with the frog had yellow orange in it so I thought I would use it. But, it is too big even if I wanted to rip it out to use on the smaller piece and now I wonder if I might run into the "too big" bead again so that's why the alternating sizes is still under consideration.
I like the idea Vivage of using it for October and the other one for November but MY rule is to use the color wheel so that doesn't work. Darn it! But that idea may come in handy for others out there.
Coral seas likes the idea of sticking with the small size as I did well on Septembers in fitting a lot in a small space which is kind of what I was after but then Helene shared that small can sometimes be too small which is what the bead I used this month also says.
I liked Julie's idea of using the small September as a cover page which is a super idea for those who are putting them together in a bookish type of finish but mine are going in a frame (hopefully a polymer clay tile mosaic frame) so that won't work for me. I sure stopped to think about changing my finish though with that suggestion!
So in the end here is what I am going to do. I cut out a smaller version and started working on it to see if I could use beads other than the ones on the larger version and it looks like I can. That means I will be doing both sizes this month. Next month I will start with the small (I think I've learned to measure twice, cut once by now!) and if I have a large bead again, go ahead and make the large version also. Who knows, I may end up with two whole sets at the end of the year! Actually, I think one of the two sizes will eventually win out but if I stitch one of each till then I won't have a lot of catch-up to do and the ones I don't eventually use can become gifts or a part of a new project. I am really glad you didn't all suggest ripping it out since it couldn't be reproduced on the smaller version anyhow.
Thankyou all so much. I hope this problem has given you ideas too for when you make a mistake. In the view of this beading as being journaling, I think keepin' on goin' is really better than a restart. And for those of you new to the BJP you can now see some of the value of being part of the group. Without you I was left with my husband's opinion, one of which he really didn't have! With all of you, I got opinions from people who know beads and know the time involved and feelings tucked into each piece. So again, thank you all so much. I really, truly appreciate all the suggestions and they really did get me moving forward again.

10 comments:

a2susan said...

I can tell you right now that I love the fan in the smaller piece you've started. I mean, I really love it, so I think you're going in the right direction making the piece the original size.
Hugs, Susan

Pursuing Art... said...

Oh Timaree...I am sorry that this happened and that I missed your previous post! But I think you made a great decision! I do understand ripping out...just got through doing it with lessons learned!

I think your orange page will be wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing it complete!

Have a good weekend!

~Lisa ;-)

P.S. And I think your thoughts on the extra being a gift or used for another project is a great idea!

Robin said...

Wow! As you promised, you really did give serious consideration to everyone's suggestions! I applaud you for that AND for your flexible solution!!!! I think both October pieces are lovely... love the fabric, colors and movement that you've got going on both pieces. Fabulous!!! Robin A.

heidibeads said...

You really did think long and hard about this. What wonderful suggestions you got too. We know where to go if we need help, now don't we? What a great group and what wonderful pieces you're doing. Whether you do the small or the large, they both are great as always. The textures in both are great - Heidibeads

beadbabe49 said...

I'm so glad you decided against ripping anything out...I liked both versions too!

KV said...

Attagirl, Timaree! Everything's looking great . . .


Kathy V in NM

Denise said...

I didn't comment on the first post but having a look at how it progressed, it is very cool to see how you came to your conclusions! Depending on what you will be doing with your pages, you can always use it as the front page of a booklet of your journal project or in some such like manner.
Cheers, Denise

shebaduhkitty said...

I really like the one bead that you have wrapped with smaller beads.

Cyndi L said...

Wow! You are my hero!! What a great solution.

CC said...

WOW! Timaree! How cool your work is! I mean really! It's just beautiful! I missed your last post, but am glad you got so much help! Great group! And I think you made a great choice! You are very talented! Love the whole idea, color, texture,...everyhing!
Warmest aloha,
CC