Monday, June 28, 2010

Animals in the Desert



I rather enjoy watching the animals around our place. I saw these crows in the yard and wondered why they were hanging around - until I went out to water my apple tree. They had pecked apart every apple and torn off many of the branch ends! Couldn't they have just eaten ALL of a few apples and left everything else alone?

The bunny is so cute sitting in the shade of our tree. I'm sure he didn't expect to see me come outside with my camera but then they've surprised us a few times too. We now surround all new plants with chicken wire because the bunnies decimate them. They have even chewed off many lower branches on our oleander bushes but drop them when they realize they are poisonous. Once my husband opened his car hood to see why the car wouldn't start and there was a cute little bunny who had chewed the spark plug wires!

I still like watching all these animals. I don't know what to do about the apple tree. We built a garage to keep our cars away from the rabbits and rats. I have foil strips hanging from my tomato cage which is up on our porch away from the bunnies but evidently not the birds! I sure hope I get a few of the tomatoes.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Those darn bunnies are so cute to watch! But I went out to weed and found every single one of my mums chewed down to the nubs!! Last year we had so much trouble keeping them away from plants that we chicken wired everything. Terry hung tomatoe plants in those upside down bags. We'll see.

We love to watch the critters too. Did you know that bunnies even eat bread? I never would have believed it but they eat the bread I put out for the birds. But then, so does the dog, when I'm not looking ~lol~

beadbabe49 said...

Ha...and we have deer who will eat all the strawberry plants if we don't cover them...they ate some of our flowers but don't seem to like nasturtiums or campions and we have a lot of them!

Kimmie said...

it's hard to get mad at something so cute!!!
and thank you for the link to the Ripples blog. That just might be the answer I've been looking for: "How to channel this obsession of mine?"