Friday, July 29, 2011

Damn the Rattlesnakes Anyhow

I came home from California today as it was a very bad day for us. Our Brandy was bit by a rattlesnake last night. My husband took her to the vet but she couldn't be saved. Evidently, getting bitten in the nose as our big Sarah dog was is a better place than the fleshy underside of a dog. Brandy was only about 3 years old so we are really, really sad and wishing we weren't living in the desert right now. I know the snake was only doing what comes natural to them for their own survival but it hurts so much to see the dogs hurt by them. My husband almost stepped on a snake when he was out looking for her. That snake didn't make it either but I don't feel so bad for it.

Brandy was a shelter dog who'd been turned back in three times before I found her. She got over a lot of her fears and was enjoying life to the fullest so we at least can be happy about giving her that. It's just so hard; we feel like we failed her even though logically we know we did the best we could. We will miss you forever Brandy. We love you.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh how awful, I am so very sorry! I would be truly devastated and beyond myself.

Janet Ghio said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! I was thinking about you the other day and realizing you hadn't blogged in quite a while.

Jacq said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I know she had a good life with you. My daughter lives in Surprise and they have problems with snakes also.

Carol said...

O gosh, I read the title and thought o no, not again. I didn't know you had two dogs.

It IS a hard loss to overcome. I think we all wonder if we did our best when we lose a friend. Its hard to get over that too.

Glad your husband is ok.
xx, Carol

Sheep Rustler said...

So sorry :(

Julie said...

Oh Timaree I'm so sorry for your loss. (I've only just caught up with your blog) You did a wonderful thing for your little dog so I hope you keep your good memories close. xx

Pat said...

oh sweetheart, you gave Brandy the best life she ever had. She was loved, left her fears behind and no doubt she loved you immensely.
You never failed her, you gave her your best - and a life away from the shelter.
You have my deepest sympathy.

Caity said...

Timaree, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Brandy looks like she was a special little dog and was lucky to have her time with you. ((hugs))

Kate P. said...

What a sweet little dog, those furry guys really worm their way into your heart don't they :O) So sorry you have to deal with snakes - doesn't sound very appealing.