Thursday, April 3, 2008

March TIF Done



I finally finished my March challenge as a fiber ATC. I even used the colors, at least as close to them as I could come. That meant using a metallic thread for the tree which worked out fine but when I tried zigzagging around the edge it just bound up on me and made a mess. I ripped it out and tried adding a binding but my new (and cheap) sewing machine didn't have a 1/4 " division even using the edge of the foot for guidance and I couldn't get any of the feet around the tree-base rocks. You can see the stitching where I tried and had to remove the stitching. (I have now wet it thoroughly and left it to dry. Hopefully this will remove the needle holes).

My moment in time comes from posting a picture of our tree just breaking into buds with a few green tips of leaves barely showing. I figure spring always happens in a blink of an eye. Sure enough, what was barely breaking out on March 1st is in full leaf as of March 31st!

I machine appliqued the layers together for our desert landscape. I machine embroidered the tree and then added brown and green #18 seed beads for the buds and opening leaves. I used OO nymo thread and a size 15 beading needle. I finally got to use some of my vintage teeny tiny beads. That was the highlight of this challenge! I also added cat's eye chips for my quartz rocks which are around the real tree. I finished it off with blanket stitch. After all the false starts and changes, I find I like the end result. It definitely took me further than I intended and was a big challenge too!

12 comments:

linda stokes said...

This looks great, well done in overcoming the problems you had & thanks for your comment on mine.

abeadlady said...

I really like that. The way you finished it looks great. Hopefully the needle holes will disappear.

Arline

GraceBeading said...

Beautiful!

The Lone Beader said...

I love the shimmering tree! :D

MaryjoO said...

this is really beautiful. And we can tell there was a LOT of work done on this. Congrats!

MixPix said...

Gorgeous effort - congratulations. I like the sparkly tree bark and the beads are a wonderful idea for buds. The paisley fabric in the background is great, too.

Mary Timme said...

I like this very much. What a lot you've worked out to get it done!

freebird said...

Thank you all for your comments. Now are we all ready for April's challenge?

Kimmie said...

You do beautiful work! I am happy to have found your blog! You asked a question on mine about my watermark (name at the bottom of the photo) - I use a program for my mac called iWatermark. If you use photoshop, though, it's a built in feature. My mac uses iPhoto and it doesn't include watermarking. Anyway - use your help key to search for a watermark capability in your photo program .... hth! p.s. thank you for the kind words!!

Muza said...

All your work has been worthwhile. It is beautiful!

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

Sometimes you can use a fingernail to push the fibers of the fabric back into place when a hole has been created by a needle. Steam or heat often helps to soften those fibers up before trying to move them.

You should be really proud of this piece. It turned out beautifully :- )

Hélène H said...

Very nice !