Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ta Da! Sound the Trumpets!





Okay, maybe it's too early for trumpets as I don't have May done yet but I feel soooo good that I got this one done. April done and only one to go.



April is my Easter basket. This is the Easter basket I have had for 54 years. Yep, I've kept my childhood basket and have used it many times too. It's very faded and small compared to many you see today but, it's mine. At one time this basket was bright yellow and purple. Sometimes little chicks would be tied to the handle and once I remember we each got a sock bunny tucked into the grass. We had peeps too - one row to each of us kids. Not a whole package or multiple packs but one row and we thought we were lucky. A chocolate bunny or cross came in it each year and jelly beans which my dad loved (I didn't until many years later and the new jelly beans came out). We also had a hardboiled egg tucked in which we had decorated the night before. That may not seem like such a big deal but in my family we would normally use two hard boiled eggs to make 8 sandwiches for school lunches and yes, you could see the bread through the bits of egg! So a whole egg in our basket was a treat plus we got another one or two for breakfast on Easter. MMmmm. I had one sister who plowed her way through her candy in no time where I was a nibbler. I wanted it to last. (Maybe that's why I buy supplies today and don't use them but save them til they go bad on me).

I made my new basket for this page with real weaving. The purple bands were peyote (probably should have done brick stitch, and the yellow bands are ndebele stitch. I started them at one edge and worked across weaving as I went. Then I came back and tacked the strip down to form the curve I needed. My bunny was done separately and sewn on . The handle was strings of beads I couched down.

Hope you've enjoyed the look-see. I am always glad to have visitors.

16 comments:

Brenda said...

Great job on the weaving, I love the depth it gives your basket. Nice handle also!

carolann said...

Your basket is fantastic and I love the story of your easter basket its brilliant well done hun xxx

jacqui said...

What a lovely basket of memories. 2eggs between 8 sandwiches, your Mum must have been a magician!

Cyndi L said...

I know that you *will* finish! This is lovely :-)

a2susan said...

Another great month and great story. I hope you'll make a book out of your pages and memories.

Janet said...

That is so cool that you still have your childhood basket. And I like the way you made your little beaded basket....lots of details.

Barb said...

What a wonderful piece! Not only is it beautiful, it's so well done. I loved the memories, too. Great job! (And Happy Easter!)

EMBELLISHER said...

I like the circular format of your bead journal as well as the stories.Looking at your work I've been inspired to try my hand at beading and i think I'll join in, in the 2008 Bead journal project which starts in September.

Mary Timme said...

You are getting so close. You'll have May done before you know it.

KV said...

This page is so charming and well done. Loved the story that goes with it, too -- brought back many memories of my own childhood . . .


Kathy V in NM

freebird said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I love to bring the memories back of your own growing up years. That's been a nice plus of sharing mine.

beadbabe49 said...

almost there! love the basket story too!

GraceBeading said...

Absolutely beautiful! You have captured such special memories in beads. That is one amazing basket and to have it for so long, well - it's just wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

The Lone Beader said...

What cute little bunny!

Jacq said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. Your beaded basket is wonderful.

Magpie Sue said...

That was worth waiting for! You did a beautiful job - as usual :- )