Friday, November 13, 2009

Turkey Meme

I saw this meme on Janet's blog Just Me and My Art and realized the holidays are really approaching! So I've decided to do this meme also. So here goes:

  1. Which do you like better: Cooking at your house, or going elsewhere? I like going to my daughter's house but we wait till Christmas usually. Some years they and our son come here but not this year. Our son is working overtime at San Onofre Nuke Plant and our daughter is with the in-laws. Boo hoo!
  2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird? We buy the frozen birds that are on sale for $5-$7 at the grocery store. We usually buy three and keep two for later in the year.
  3. What kind of stuffing? I would love to make stuffing with onions, celery and sliced almonds like when I grew up but my husband only likes the seasoned bread cubes. I use lots of jellied cranberry sauce with it.
  4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie? Pumpkin pie with lots of real home-whipped heavy cream! Yes it's overload on fat and cholesterol but once a year I enjoy it. If my son-in-law comes, I make apple pie also since he doesn't like pumpkin pie. I will make two pies even if it is just my husband and I as I'll eat it for breakfast, snacks and dessert. It's my favorite pie.
  5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing? Leftovers are part of the whole scene. Pot pies, soup, hot turkey sandwiches, cold turkey sandwiches and even tacos for myself.
  6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu? Mashed potatoes and gravy for most of the family. My husband likes southern style candied sweet potatoes (sliced taters simmered in butter and sugar with a TBS. of water - very rich).
  7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock? Absolutely! Actually I save the wings, drumsticks and leftover parts of the thighs. I freeze them for later and the back takes up too much room. With all the meat on the drumsticks we get plenty of flavor.
  8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier? A maid!!
  9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour? We get up at the normal time. Dinner is usually around 4-5 p.m. on Thanksgiving which is very early for my husband and just right for me. I make the pies the day before so I can start with pie for breakfast.
  10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring? I make rolls. They are easy to carry and easy to warm up. No one else wants to make them anyhow.
  11. What do you wish one of your guests wouldn't bring to your house? Crabbiness! This is a happy time or should be, so everyone is expected to be joyful. Sometimes the men in the family get a bit crabby. I don't know why except we have a small house and when you fill it with too many people it can be loud with nowhere to go for a private moment. I think they get overwhelmed.
  12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see? Oh, see this fits last question! Usually it all works out. I stress over it but try to keep that to myself.
  13. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu? Pumpkin pie! Hands down!
  14. What are you thankful for this year? My son has a new job he's doing pretty well in. My daughter is finally homeschooling which she's wanted to do for a long time. My grandson has won a medal in his cross country running which he is enjoying this year after having to sit out most of last year with injurys, our Sarah dog survived her rattlesnake bite and everyone is doing well at the moment. I am thankful for all my internet friends. You make a rural woman happy!

If you would like to do this meme feel free to take it. Let me know if you do it so I can come read your answers!

And now it's time to start thinking about what I am going to do for Christmas cards! What about you? Do you make them or buy them? Design one and print out a bunch or make every single one totally by hand?

3 comments:

Janet said...

Great answers! We both have husbands who like their stuffing different than we do. I just make some of my own and he makes his! As for the pies, I agree that it only happens once a year so we might as well enjoy all the goodies we can!

Magpie Sue said...

I'm totally taking this meme over to my blog! I love that you have pumpkin pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving day :- ) What a great way to start the day!

BTW, you're still coming up as a noreply-comment blogger; apparently I am too. I've tried to find out why this is happening but so far have come up empty. Blogger Help is less than helpful :-P

Carol said...

I took the turkey meme too.