Saturday, November 15, 2008

Challenge

Carol of Beads and Birds issued a challenge on her blog for visitors to give a glimpse of the world around where they live. Well, I live in the desert of Kingman, Arizona. I am in the north western part of the state and live on 40 acres in pretty much the middle of nowhere.

The bunny was caught early in the morning just after the sun came up about 2 weeks ago. They are so cute but they eat everything we don't want them to including the wires in our cars. (We are getting ready to put in a garage to keep them out).

The roadrunner jumped up onto the window
air conditioner I have during the summer. I guess he was wondering what was going on. I was sitting right there working on my computer so I grabbed the camera quickly to catch him.

The next picture is of our big dog Sarah who went for a walk with my goats, my son and girlfriend and I this past summer. She runs pretty free here and will cover at least 10 miles a day chasing rabbits all over the place but this day was so hot even she was stopping for a rest in the shade.

The next picture shows the road on one side of
our property. It gets so seldom used that in the
spring, flowers grow in the road just fine. This is
a shot of another walk with the goats. As you can
see, we are pretty isolated. (Now you know why I treasure the internet and my internet friends).


The next pic shows the moon just two days ago. The sun was coming up while the moon had yet to go down over the mountains. If I knew how to use the manual stuff on my camera I'm sure I could have got a better shot but this is close enough. Sometimes it's not so nice here but at others, there is a real sense of peace and time.

The last shot is of a cow that has free range here. When we first moved here 6 years ago we found we wanted a fence around the house as the cows walked right up to it and had a snack of some palm trees we were going to plant. We figured they'd want the goat's hay too so now they have been fenced out! It's fun to watch them when they are grazing nearby and the dogs (all four of them) love to bark their heads off at them.

Well, this should give you an idea of what I see on any given morning. We are retired so there is no commute to work but it would be on a fairly
empty road for 12 miles to the edge of town.


Enjoy your day wherever it starts.


















15 comments:

Mary Timme said...

We used to live out there also. Ours was in the woods in the foothills and it was beautiful but was also 5 miles to the nearest rundown awful gas station that charged an arm and a leg. Then we lived on the edge of town in Colby, KS next to fields of crops and a view that went on forever. I found that for me living out was not my cup of tea. I hate driving and only do it to get me from point A to point B when I must. So the burbs are much better match for me out here.

I love the wildness of the desert around your area though. Went through years ago on our way to the Grand Canyon and stayed over night a couple of different times and it pretty, but oh, my your summers are hot!!!!!!!!

Carol said...

Thank you, Thank you for this post. I enjoy following your blog and its so nice to see what surrounds where you live. When I was younger, I would NEVER have wanted to live that far away from people. But now as I grow older, I have rediscovered the wonder of nature and think I could live very nicely where you are, even with the heat.

PS: The only time I ever saw a Road Runner was in a cartoon!

Barbara said...

Hi Timaree -- I've often wonder what it's like to live in a sparsely populated part of the universe. Thanks for letting us have a look-see! - Barbara

Janet said...

What a great glimpse into your world. It looks so peaceful and quiet....something I would like although the summers wouldn't be my cup of tea! We also live in a desert area but I'm in town. When my husband retires we would like to live somewhere out in the country away from all the noise. Your spot looks fantastic!

beadbabe49 said...

thanks for the glimpse into your world, timaree! I love the roadrunner photo especially!

Jacquie said...

Love your post! Your dog sarah must love living out there with you. My sister has lots of road runners in albuquerque and they are always in her yard. How fantastic that you got a great picture of one! Thanks for sharing such an interesting post! I've stayed in Kingman on a trip to Oregon, I think!

Kimmie said...

I've been to Kingman Arizona! That part of the state is gorgeous - well every part (that I've seen) is, I guess. There's a very special beauty to the high desert. I especially love the idea of flowers allowed to grow in the middle of the road! How cool is that?!

Jacquie said...

I meant "on the way to Oregon", we went through Kingman, Arizona..!! ha ha!! I really do know it's not in Oregon. (see previous post)

Jacqui said...

You live in an amazing place (amazing seems to be my fav word today as I go around the BJP blogs.)

When I lived in Scotland and the kids were giving me a hard day, I would dream of moving to the Scottish Highlands and creating all day. Now I live in Texas and still yearn for the Scottish highlands.

Harmony said...

great pics taken!take care!

Doreen G said...

Wow Timaree what an amazing place to live--I just can't imagine what it would be like to live there but I reckon I would be happy.
I thought that a roadrunner was a cartoon character also so I have learned something as well today.
Thanks for sharing with me.

Aussie Jo said...

What an amazing place to live. I've never seen a real live roadrunner, only the one one running from the coyote, Beep beep!
We also live on an acreage, but only 5 minutes from the beach and beach town (which is choc a block full of tourists over over our summer xmas. Doesn't feel like almost summer today, we've had hailstorms!
P.S. I love your beading.

Julie said...

Great photos of your neighbourhood Timaree. I too love the photo of the roadrunner. How amazing to have one on your windowsill.

Carol said...

Hi

Wow thanks for the insight into your area we have nothing in the UK to compare this too!

I can't imagine your life at all, but it must be quiet!

Do you have cold winters?

Love the road runner photo and Sarah is one very large dog.

What naughty bunnies to eat car wires - good luck with the garage are you going to add a bit for a craft room or are you lucky enough to have one already ... can you tell I don't have and with 4 children will probabaly never have!

TC
:)

Carol said...

Hi

Wow thanks for the insight into your area we have nothing in the UK to compare this too!

I can't imagine your life at all, but it must be quiet!

Do you have cold winters?

Love the road runner photo and Sarah is one very large dog.

What naughty bunnies to eat car wires - good luck with the garage are you going to add a bit for a craft room or are you lucky enough to have one already ... can you tell I don't have and with 4 children will probabaly never have!

TC
:)