Friday, July 31, 2009

The Birds and the Bees


We have a nest in one of our smallish trees with a dove family occupying it. I noticed it because our big dog Sarah of rattlesnake bite fame was trying to jump up high enough to get to it (and she got very close - I yelled at her and she's left it alone since). In the nest were two eggs and they have now hatched. My hatched pic isn't too great but I didn't want to bother them too much. You can still see the very new birds in it.






The bees, well I just wanted to have fun with the title but you can see them in the flower pic I've added.


Have a good day everyone.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for a pic of your birds. Funny thing. We have a nest next to the garage on top of a fence gate pole. I posted a pic of it last year. The funny thing is that between Robins and Mourning Doves they have been alternating who will use it next. I never knew that birds reused nests. Isn't it interesting watching nature!

Marty S said...

Oh, neat!
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Vicki said...

Hi Freebird!
Thanks for visiting my blog - I remember you from BJP 2007. It's wonderful to reconnect! I plan to do BJP 2010!

I love nests and eggs. I have 2 finch eggs in my sacred space. We had to remove a nest from our fireplace and the eggs were a treasured gift! Nice that yours got to hatch!

Tammy said...

Lovely dove! I'm always impressed with a bird's ability to build a nest and wonder how the babies know not to go over the edge until they're ready to fly. Very interesting flower!

missy k said...

What fantastic photographs... we have had the sweetest little robin that visits us several times a day... and he always makes us smile.

Karen