Monday, October 12, 2009

New Journal





I made a new journal for a workshop I am taking over at a yahoo group called A.R.T. I made it with a bisquick box for the cover. Why a bisquick box? Because I like to bake and more, I liked the colors! I used grosgrain ribbon for the spine so it'd be firm enough for sewing the signatures into but that created a small problem in that the book doesn't stay firmly closed. It works fine; it just doesn't stay shut on it's own but stays open about 1/2 inch. Maybe time will help.

I made four signatures using heavy weight drawing paper as the guide for the size of the book and other pages. The paper was 9x12" so I just folded it in half. I added some MiTientes pages, watercolor and a floral petal paper. I encased each signature in a smaller paper that matched the cover colors and then sewed them into the spine with red pearl cotton. I am happy with it and can't wait to start using it.

8 comments:

Scrappy Cat said...

What a fun journal!

Jacq said...

Great journal. I love the cover.

Tammy said...

Love the binding and looking forward to seeing more!

Carol said...

Wow. I thought the cover idea was neat, but its really neat inside too!

Krista Meister said...

Oh, my, this is so original. Very creative! Timaree, I just stumbled across your site and realized I knew you from EDM and Kate Johnson's Yahoo groups. Nice to meet you!

Marty S said...

I love it!
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Magpie Sue said...

Love the journal! The cover, the dotted ribbon, the various papers inside for pages... it's all great. You might consider stitching a strip of ribbon to each cover so you can tie the journal shut.

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love your journal, it really is neat and brings back some memories.I use to cook a whole box of Biscuit pancakes every Sunday for my boys. What ever was left over was frozen for breakfast during the week.
As to your question about misting with watercolor - yes I mist with watercolors in my journal.Thanks for stopping by!