Monday, July 30, 2007

July is Finished!!


I've got it done just in the nick of time! Just kidding. It didn't need to take all month but I fooled around with this or that so it did.
Now, the story for this page goes back to my childhood. My family didn't have a lot of money and there were six of us kids. My parents moved to Clarke Dr. (same one as on my June page) when my oldest sisters were finishing high school. We didn't have the money to go places or to take summer vacations so my parents did the next best thing (which really turned out to be the best). They got us a pool!
The pool wasn't big and it didn't have a diving board but the times we had in it! The first thing my parents did was get the Red Cross out to teach the neighborhood how to swim so they didn't have to worry. Then it was Marco Polo, playing sharks (till we scared ourselves right out of the pool and into the house), baseball and volleyball. Every summer was spent in this pool with our friends.
And that brown table, well that was there for most of the years I can remember. It fit right in that spot. We ate dinner there and partied there too. We went through a number of umbrellas.
Over the years all the shrubbery grew and Dad would cut it back to keep it from overtaking the whole area. He'd prune it back to almost nothing; we'd think he might have killed some of it but it would grow back and get all bushy again.
Some of the special times connected with this pool were 4th of July parties and sitting on the roof of the house to watch the fireworks. Sometimes we went to where the fireworks were done but that would be after a day partying by the pool or else we would go to El Monte Park for a picnic, come home for a swim and then do fireworks. The other special times were all but my oldest sister's weddings. You see, my second oldest sister got married on one of the hottest August days anyone could remember (her cake was tilted in the pictures due to the icing melting). Our wedding receptions were held at our house with a keg of beer, lots of food, punch and the pool. Yes, guests brought their suits and went swimming but that wasn't the highlight. It started with this August wedding and the brothers of the groom. They threw the groom into the pool while he was still in his tuxedo! Of course, every man wearing a tux ended up tossed in and that was the start of a tradition that was passed down through every single one of our weddings!
So, you can see why I wanted to bead this page. Half my life's memories are tied up here. I don't think my parents had any inkling when they got this pool for us kids just how much it would end up meaning to us.

26 comments:

The Family Jewels said...

What a great page and an excellent story! I found myself there by the pool seeing guys in tuxes thrown in! Great job!
-Tonia

Brenda said...

What a great way to capture those memories forever.
The page is so cute, I love the little bushes that surround the pool.

No Easy Beads said...

That is a wonderful story. The journal page took me back to your great times at the pool.

Angela said...

Can I come swim? It is so cute and reminds me of summer fun. Great job. Angie

Robin said...

Your memories are soooo precious, and to honor them with this piece as you have brings tears to my eyes. My first reaction was "Cute!" But after reading about your pool memories, it's ever so much more! Have you shown your syblings yet?

Lois B said...

What a beautiful page. It is very inviting as it is, and your memories make me want to just jump in!

coral-seas said...

I really liked watching your progress on the piece but your description of summers by the pool brings the sceene to life. I can hear childrens' laughter, the fireworks' whizz-band, and the cheers when the groom is tossed into the pool. Wonderful memories to treasure.

CA

Judi D said...

You just about had me in tears, what a fantastic memory page. Your style has been so pure and clean, simple with deep thought and integrity.

freebird said...

Thanks everyone for such nice comments. I can't believe I am pulling this stuff out of me! You all encourage me on. Thankyou, thankyou.

a2susan said...

Isn't it amazing what beading can "pull" out of you? It's like you're creating a treasure chest for your memories. Now when I look at your piece I will see see happy children playing games creating a lifetime of memories.

Creed said...

This is so joyous and delightful!
I put it on my desktop background and smile every time I see it!!
thank you

Pearl said...

I knew there was going to be a great story when you published the finished page. I can't wait to see what you give us for August!!

KV said...

Wonderful memory page, Freebird! I can hardly wait to see where you take us next . . .


Kathy V in NM

Aurora said...

It is nice to commemorate good family memories with ar--- this certainly made me think of a poolside party!

Julie said...

What a great page and lovely to have all these memories. I love the fireworks and the flowers - not forgetting the duck! (My DH hacks things down to within an inch of their lives too. lol)

ACey said...

I love how special and personal your pages have been. The stories are wonderful and this will be an amazing keepsake when the year is finished.

Lillian said...

Your finished "pool" is so inviting! But most of all Thank you so much for your story Timaree! It brought me to a place called "home", Lillian

Bejeweled said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. What a wonderful tribute you have beaded. And what a great match it is seasonally for the month of July :)

Jessie said...

Aunt Tim.... what a beautiful tribute to Gramps (and the grandma I never knew)! Thank you for sharing your memories....even I can remember Jim Huson almost making it too far across the pool! You do great work!
Love you,
Jess

Kiwi Ellen said...

What a wonderful story - it makes your page full of life & memories that are so special they must be shared, thank you for letting us enjoy the trip down your memoty lane

Hélène H said...

I think it's a great piece, it translates really well the happiness that I can sense though your retelling of fond memories... Your piece sparkles.

Thank you for sharing.

Take care.

Sacredartist said...

What a great family you had. I would have loved to come to your house for a swim. To have a swimming pool in our neighborhood would have meant to be rich.
My aunt had a pool and every summer I would go and stay at her house in SC for a month. She taught swimming and I would take a lesson or two from her. It was the best part of my childhood.

Sue in western WA said...

Absolutely FABULOUS! You did a great job depicting a favorite place from your childhood. :- )
Thanks for sharing your precious memories with the rest of us.

(Sure hope you're writing these down to be kept with the pages!)

girl_gone_thread_wild said...

How sweet is this piece! Thanks for sharing your story with me/us, I'm very close with my family too (growing up with a dad who was a soldier in the military will do that to a girl; I always was sure to put my family first in my life, especially when we could go months without material possessions while waiting for our boxes to ship overseas). You've really touched my heart with this beaded page, it's so unique & beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that you brought back memories of how I used to spend my summers with my parents. You are so talented the art work you make comes straight from your heart!
Your children and grandchldren are very fortunate to have you in their lves, and so are we!
love,
the d'amato family

JoTee said...

I feel like I can sit by the pool, hear the splashing going on, & dip my feet in the cool water...thank you for sharing your fun time at the "family pool"