Saturday, May 3, 2008

Walking in the Desert

My husband and I took a walk around the "block" last weekend. It's 2 1/2 miles around so it's a good sized walk. We have to go more slowly when he goes than I normally would because of his heart problems but it was good for him to get out. He hadn't shut the gate on the goat pen (his memory isn't so good either-- just joking) so the goats joined us as well as our german short-haired pointer. You won't see her because she runs all over chasing rabbits the whole way around. I bet she goes 10 miles to our 2 1/2!

The goats have never taken such a long walk but they really enjoyed it. This is the good part about living in such a rural part of the desert. We can
take our animals with us and not worry about traffic. Do you see the flowers in the road? This one gets only 1 car every few days! The other side of our house has a road much more
frequently traveled. Yesterday we passed a car as we left for town and one as we returned. I don't think that's ever happened before but really, cars do come in and out some.


How do you like the last picture? Everytime I pass these two cacti I see a snail. Do you see it? It's the largest and prettiest one I've seen. Hope you've enjoyed your little bit of desert for today.


10 comments:

abeadlady said...

Great pics and love the goats. I see what you mean about the cactus. Very cool.
Arline

Kathy Wagner said...

I have never been to a desert, so it was fun to see your photos. It's amazing that in a place so brown and dry that those beautiful flowers grow - a burst of glorious colour!

Jacq said...

Thanks for sharing pictures. I love the desert, do you live there year around?

Kimmie said...

Beautiful! TFS!

Crayons said...

Hi Freebird,
I enjoyed these photos, both for the goats and for the desert. I don't see the snail.

Fannie said...

Thanks for the pics. You're fortunate to live in a wonderful nature-filled part of the country.

I couldn't find the snail.

Marlboro Man said...

Nice foto

freebird said...

Hi everyone.
Arline, the goats definitely add to our rural enjoyment. I couldn't believe how I could really see their excitement to go with us but goats are social creatures.

Kathy, Give us rain and we can have some beauty. These are similar to flowers that crop up everywhere as weeds. Take close up pics and you have lovely flowers.

Jacq, we live here all year going from once-in-a-great-while snow to sometimes very hot summers. Spring and fall are terrific although windy.

Kimmie, glad you enjoyed the pics. What is TFS?

Crayons and Fannie, I've clarified the snail in another post. Check it out!

Fannie said...

I see it! Thanks. You've helped me "see" differently. I appreciate it.

Kiwi Ellen said...

It took me a while but I found the 'snail' I love your 'walk around the block' & I envy your warm climate ;9