Saturday, May 17, 2008

March BJP - To My Mother with Love

I've done it! I have finished my March page. It
didn't take near as long as any of the others. I love how it came out as it looks pretty true to the real thing.

The "real thing" was my mother's Cecil Bruner rose bush. It was a climbing rose with small flowers that my Dad bought for her and planted on the fence that was at the edge of the pool which I did for my July page.

I used some fake pearls that my mother had (they were really, really in bad shape but worked great for this page) to make the centers of the roses. I goofed and used dark purple for the background instead of light as my other purple page was but there isn't anything like serendipity as the dark purple symbolizes suffering and my mother did a lot of that. Her dad was killed be a hit-and-run driver while crossing a street, her third child (first son) died at one month while sleeping in bed with her so she was blamed by the coroner for his death, her fourth child needed open heart surgery and was about the 5th one to use the new heart/lung machine which gave her a 50/50 chance of survival (she did and now has 3 children of her own), and then she got multiple sclerosis finally dying during surgery for a ruptured appendix at age 56.

I didn't know what I was going to do on this page except that it would be for my mom as this was her birthday month. I thought of a sewing machine as she made a lot of the clothes us five daughters wore plus doll clothes and some of our wedding dresses. I thought about making a decorated cake as she did many of those including some of our wedding cakes. After many other ideas I found myself worrying about a family situation and so I prayed to her asking her to pray for my family. The next day I knew I wanted to put flowers on her page. I didn't know what flowers or why I wanted to do this so clearly so I wrote to my oldest sister who understands odd things like this. I told her only that I had a strong urge to put flowers on Mom's page but didn't know why. She came back with: She LOVED pink Cicel Bloomers, the very small pink rose. And I think that she is sending you love which she would do with pink roses. She is letting you know that she is with you and sending you blessings. It is a be in the moment thing again. sewing, decorating cakes, hats, shoes, are all doing or memories, roses are an enjoy the beauty of the moment, growing thing, that we get to enjoy. Tell me if this helps, for she is enjoying your company and the honor that you give to her. It was so perfectly tuned to my prayer which my sister did not know about. I did feel so close to Mom just then plus to my sister. (Sisters are one of life's blessings as are daughters and...). So, roses it became and it went soooo smoothly and quickly.

14 comments:

abeadlady said...

Just beautiful. Not just the beading, but the thoughts behind it as well. It looks almost real.

Arline

Magpie Sue said...

Suddenly, I have no words. The page is beautiful. Your experience with it's creation is truly a blessing. And the message to enjoy the moments... what could be more valuable?

Scrappy Cat said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!! All those tiny beads - amazing!

a2susan said...

You can tell how special your mother was, not only by your beautiful story, but by how this piece just speaks of love.

beadbabe49 said...

What a touching and sensitive tribute to your mom...I envy you sisters and daughter(s)...

Robin said...

I'm with magpie sue all the way on this one... a blessing it is indeed... and to us to by way of you, your prayer, your sister and your love. Beautiful beyond words.

Dot said...

This is a beautiful and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing it with us. Your beading is exquisite. And even more because of the meaning behind it.

What a special link to your mum.

Hélène H said...

It's a truly beautiful page, and a very moving post, I had tears in my eyes reading you.

Did you know purple is also the colour of spirituality ?

God bless you and your family.

The Lone Beader said...

This is really beautiful! How long did the beadwork take to complete??

Fiona Whitehead said...

This is such an inspirational piece of work for someone who never uses beads - me! What a lovely story too.

vivage said...

Whew, this one set off a lot of emotion for me. It's so beautiful and the tribute to your mom and sister touched my heart.

Janet said...

This is a beautiful beaded piece with a heartfelt story behind it. Truly a little gem to treasure forever.

EMBELLISHER said...

what a beautiful tribute to your mother.beautiful juxtapostion of the measured regular trellis and the organic curvilinear form of the climbing rose.

KV said...

So eloquent and beautiful . . .


Kathy V in NM