Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ta Da! Sound the Trumpets! I'm Finished!



I did it. I did it! I finished my last page of BJP 2007.

This is my May page. It's based on my Grandma O'Keefe's wedding ring quilt. You can see my posting about that quilt here . The quilt caused a bit of a ruckus in the family with some thinking it was a valuable heirloom and it didn't help when my dad said two (that I know of) granddaughters would get to have it when he died. Well, with it almost hitting the trash bin as we were cleaning Dad's garage out, I somehow brought it home and still have it. We didn't get much from our grandmothers as other grandkids managed to get it instead. Grandma O'Keefe's stuff I'm afraid to say, probably went for drug money. Sad but that's the way life goes sometimes.

I wanted to see if I could do this like a charm quilt where every piece is a different fabric. I succeeded. I couldn't do fringe or too much texture as I was emulating fabrics - old fabrics. Some of the ugly-coating-coming-off pearl beads were the last from my mother. I figured this was a good place to use them. The two hearts in the middle are for my grandmothers. The fabrics are from their aprons we saw them wear so much.

I was going to sew all of these pieces from the year into a round penny rug table topper. I have changed my mind. I always cover up a table with junk and projects so it would never be seen and I didn't feel anyone else would ever want it in that form. Instead I am going to put them in three groups of four and sew them, still penny rug style, to a backing and put them in three matching frames. I think this will be a better way to display them all.

And now, I can go on to October 2008 guilt-free. Yay.

25 comments:

a2susan said...

Hi, Freebird. I love your last piece, it just is so beautiful. I have enjoyed all the family stories that you have told as well.

Susan

GraceBeading said...

Standing and clapping over here... congratulations on completing the year - and a beautiful finish at that!

KV said...

This is a stunning piece of work, Timaree! Love how you were able to replicate the feel of that old quilt.


Kathy V in NM

Carol said...

Well, Now you ARE Freebird! This piece is great and your planned display of your pages sounds perfect. Glad you finished last year. Can't wait to see plans for this year.

Janet said...

Wow! That is beautiful!!

beadbabe49 said...

I'm with grace...BRAVO for finishing this beautiful piece of your heart...and I am so glad you will be framing your pieces...please take photos when they're done!

Plays with Needles said...

I love this piece and the fact that it was inspired by Grandma O'Keefe's quilt; I love the hearts from apron fabric; but most of all, I love the story that goes along with this piece. So much so, that I talked about it on my blog this morning...*smile

artandtea said...

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Timaree! I'm cheering and dancing for you and a project year finished and very well done.
What a beautiful page to wrap up the year.

Beadin' Gram/aka Jackie said...

Congratulations of the completions of last year's BJP. Your work is fantastic -- always a delight to visit your blog.
~Jackie~

Pursuing Art... said...

Congratulations on your final piece!

This piece is just lovely and I love the story that's behind it! The wedding ring you beaded is wonderful and represents different fabric pieces beautifully. It is great that you used the last of the pearl beads on this piece and I love the two hearts made of their aprons that represent your grandmothers!

Your pieces will be a valuable heirloom one day...they are great!

~Lisa ;-)

shebaduhkitty said...

I like the idea that you are basing it on a quilt style. Nice work.

Cyndi L said...

Yay for you!! What a great feeling to be done, and what a lovely piece your final circle is!!

FREEbird, indeed!

heidibeads said...

Hi Freebird! You did it and I love it. Wonderful colors and I like the inside "yo-yo"s. What an accomplishment - a year of beading.

cliodhna said...

its beautiful.. and comes from such a cool story too. I love the yellow page too. Beads are so cool..

I am having a giveaway on my blog if you would like to join. I am looking for business tips useful for me and as a bonus useful for everyone else reading too.. I have had some cool ones! would love to see you there, x clio

Tracey N. said...

Wow Freebird, this is beautiful! I love the shape and colors you used. You must be so proud to have finished a year long commitment! Give yourself a big pat on the back for that! Its just beautiful! Tracey

Robin said...

I've loved all your pieces... Christmas, Haloween, Trip to the Snow, First House We Bought... all of them. But this one is over the top wonderful (full of wonder) in every way... the design, the way you did it, the apron fabrics, the tribute... everything about it touches my heart! I too am glad you've decided to frame your work, as they are indeed art worthy of being framed and more likely to be cherished beyond your time because of it. Many hugs and blessings, Robin A.

Helena said...

wow! This is beautiful!!!

BTW, I have done the draw for the Secret Santa and I'll email you some details this evening!

:)

The Lone Beader said...

Awesome!

Magpie Sue said...

Woohoo! Congrats on your finish of the 2007-08 BJP pieces! I love this last 'page'; the way you've combined the quilt and the aprons. I also think you've hit upon a fabulous idea in the framing of the pieces. Good on you! (I still have two journal quilts waiting to be finished.)

Jacq said...

Your piece is amazing.

freebird said...

Thanks everyone. I was so stuck when it came to a theme for May and it ended up coming together after all. You just never know!

Barb said...

Yaaaaay! Beautiful work, Timaree! I missed you and some of the other folk from the 2007 project so much that I'm following the blogs for this year so I get to keep up. You always do such beautiful work, but I love this one very, very much.

Barb

Julie said...

Wow! Timaree so much work! Congratulations on finishing and such a beautiful piece to finish with.

Hélène H said...

Simply beautiful. I love the folksy feel of this piece.

MaryjoO said...

this is unbelievable -- what fabulous work and a labor of love. And a great story to go with it!!