Friday, February 15, 2008

February TIF Done

I have finished my February TIF challenge. I
haven't yet made a dotee doll so chose this as the form I would use for this month. The challenge was to think about what we remember from days gone by and I took that to mean things that are not with us anymore. My conception is for two things that are gone from my life. One is letter writing. I might get an occasional card but I really don't get handwritten letters and haven't since before my dad died. The second is that I don't have my parents anymore. This is something everyone loses at some point so it doesn't have to do with modern times versus old times. It's universal but leaves a hole just the same.


I handled these themes in this doll form by printing off a letter from my mother dated about 30 years ago and some some scanned in envelopes addressed to my dad over the years onto ExtravOrganza. I also printed off a picture I took of some pencils and a pen. I layered the organza over a blue checkered fabric for the body and sewed up the doll on the right side. I wanted more color to show than was available in the printed images and cloth. I had to take the purple thread off a bobbin in order to put red thread on so I used the purple thread for hair adding some beads to the mix. Because the thread holding the pencil tassels looked weak, I added some needle weaving and red beads. I added the heart for my love for my parents.

I made some paper beads with the outside layer being some postage stamps I had saved and used them as part of the hanging loop.

I am quite happy with my little doll and she is now hanging from my peg board cupboard above my work desk.

9 comments:

GraceBeading said...

Well... she is AMAZING, I love what you have done to make her body, the tribute to your parents. This is such a sweet doll. Her face is precious as well. Really beautiful work.

Guzzisue said...

thanks for dropping by, never would have thought of using a doll for TIF, shes lovely.

The Lone Beader said...

I love the shape of this doll! :D

reneorgeron said...

I love your doll! I love your explaination more. It is so good to see someone stretch their selves. that is a step further. wonderful description.

Betzie said...

This little doll holds so much meaning. She is dear and I bet your parents are smiling at her too. Hugs!

Beverly said...

A wonderful way to express the theme- I love how you included images from the old handwritten letters. What a tribute to your parents.

Thanks for visiting my blog- it is fun seeing how differently we intrepret the concept. And I loved your photos of the coyotes, and totally understand your aversion to brown!

Looking forward to seeing your work in the coming months--

Meg in Albuquerque said...

I think your doll and your theme for this months challenge is very creative, and touching. thanks for sharing this.

Allison Ann Aller said...

I don't have any parents either...and you and I are the same age. I just love what you have done with the doll and the handwriting. Very creative and moving!
This TIF Challenge is incredibly rewarding, seeing what everyone does....

jacqui said...

What a cute doll and what a lovely way to remember your parents.