Friday, February 29, 2008

January BJP Done!


January is done and technically it's still February so I will only be one month behind tomorrow, March 1st! I am catching up and in the meantime I have changed my mind on the theme for my February page. I may not be beading intuitively but I am letting the theme be chosen that way! Being a very security conscious person, just letting go and being totally free with a blank page is still a bit scary. Even if there is no BJP for a second year I may very well take some steps to bead differently for a while myself and see what happens. But enough of that; here is the story for this page.
When I was quite young and living in warm and sunny southern California before freeways a trip to see some snow was a magical thing. I only remember going one time in my very early years (which is how often we went to Disneyland and it held the same attraction). The nearest place for us to go was Julian, California. It was about 3500 feet above sea level if memory serves me right (and that might not be too trustworthy) which means there was a pretty good snow depth without having to travel more than a couple hours at the most.
Anyhow, one weekend my parents said let's go and all of us kids piled into the big old green Plymouth station wagon. There were eight of us packed in the car but it was pretty big and us little ones sat all the way in the back cargo area. (Not a safe thing to do but we didn't know it then). When we finally got up to the snow level my dad had to find a parking space among all those other people who made the same trip to see snow. Finally, finally he found one and we all hurried to get out of the car. In my hurry I gave a bit of a push to my younger sister who fell into the snowbank. It was an iced over snowbank and my sister cut her gums on a piece of the ice. My mom let us all go play while she took care of the cut gums but since she couldn't seem to stop the bleeding after about 15 minutes (the time really is fuzzy; it just seemed like a very short time) she called us all back and we had to go home! I've never forgotten than my hurry wrecked our snow day. You'll see in a close up of the picture a single red bead by the edge of the road for the blood my sister left behind.
The next memorable trip to the snow came when I was engaged to be married. I was all of 17 and in love with a guy from Vermont who couldn't understand my fascination with taking a trip to see snow. He agreed to go with me though and we went to the same general area as I had been to so many years before. We stayed for a while, longer than my first trip but not real long as it wasn't to exciting not having sleds or anything and it had been pretty well beaten down by previous visitors. The trip home took over five hours! The traffic was horrible and my fiance got madder and madder about all this for a bit of snow. By the time we got home I had decided the heck with him and was going to break off my engagement. (See my security thing; I didn't do anything while on the road. I waited for the safety of home). My aunt was visiting and saw how upset we were. She told me that it was obvious I loved the guy so go out and tell him so. I did and we got married and have lived several times in the snow country where I finally got my fill of it although I still love the occasional snowfall we get that melts off within an hour of sunlight.
And now you know my January story. Yep, I've got another one for February. Stay tuned.
(I've tried and tried but can't seem to be able to leave a space tonight between paragraphs.)

15 comments:

Kathy Wagner said...

Wonderful memoire piece - as always! Loved the story and it was particularly funny to me as I sit in my house surrounded by piles of snow!

The Lone Beader said...

I love the different whites you're using! I also love that the piece is round. :)

beadbabe49 said...

What a great story! and now I like the piece even more...

Kiwi Ellen said...

A gorgeous piece & a wonderful trip down memory lane as well - I imagine you have blessed your Aunt more than a few times over the years for her wise words back when ;9
Your mountains are super, gotta love those clear ABs, eh?

CC said...

Loved the story! And your piece! It really reminded me of all those snow days in Washington! And appreciate how nice it is not to have to shovel snow here! :)
I had the same problem with Blogger only with putting spaces between pictures. Ah, well!
Keep up the great work & story telling!
Warmest aloha,
CC

freebird said...

Kathy, I figured those who've had too much snow this year would get a kick out of those who drive to see some.

Lone Beader: The different shapes and finishes really affect a single color don't they? Kinda like on your yellow submarine.

Beadbabe49: My pieces are pretty simple making the story a necessary part. I'm going to have to print the stories out to keep with the piece when it's all done. Have to figure out how to do that first.

Kiwi Ellen: Sometimes I've blessed my aunt and at other times I've wished she hadn't said those words. Guess perfect relationships are fairy tales but we've made 35 years and get along better now than way back then!

CC: On the rare occasion we get snow here I find it's not sticking around very long to be wonderful. I remember shoveling too.

Leah said...

what a beautiful piece!!

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

Beautiful piece, Timaree. Your story reminds me of the time that we Michiganders went out to California on vacation one summer. Dad had to stop the car in one of the mountain passes to let us kids get out to make sure that white stuff we saw on the side of the road was, in fact, SNOW! In the middle of June! We just couldn't believe it!

KV said...

Nicely done, Timaree! What a terrific story . . .


Kathy V in NM

Julie said...

Oh, what a nice winter scene. It makes snow feel and look romantic. Julie C

Robin said...

Beautiful beading... love the way you did the snow banks, especially the one in the forground!!!! The story is great too, and the single red bead. Wouldn't it be fun to show it to somebody who didn't know the story and see what they make of the red bead?!!! I notice wonderful develpment in you technical skills and design sense!!!

Robin A.

Barb said...

Timaree, what a beautiful piece, and I just loved how you incorporated that one red bead into it. Sometimes I think the most subtle reminders of memories are the most poignant. I'd be happy to give you some of my snow whenever you want it, but, until then, yours is gorgeous.

freebird said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Sue, I don't think kids get as tired of snow as adults do!

Robin, thanks. The BJP has really helped to keep me focused on bead embroidery so I am glad you see some progress with my work.

Yes, snow can look romantic and no thanks. I left Wyoming as every time we went to Calif. for a visit we had to deal with the stuff. Followed a snow plow in Utah once, sat on a closed freeway another. After Mother's Day one year, we ran into a blizzard! I'll stay in the warmer climes, thankyou very much. (I didn't mention Minnesota, did I?)

Any Smith said...

Nice to hear the story behind the page. Glad you decided to marry that guy. I'm still waiting for the snow to melt :(

Lovely page.

Hélène H said...

It's a very nice piece !