Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Baby Quilts

I thought I would share pictures of the quilts I
made for my grandchildren when they were born. The green one is the first one. It was made for my grandson. This picture was taken last summer when the quilt was 13 years old and I can say the quilt has been in constant use all these years.


Next comes the big-star quilt. It was made 11 years ago for my first granddaughter.

The small-star quilt was made next but the squares were made by hand as a portable project I had started a couple of years before. I pieced the blocks together by machine though.


And last comes the 7 year old quilt for the baby of the family. Good ol' Attic Windows. The kids are all pretty attached to these quilts.


My daughter, thank goodness, didn't relegate these to the awful status of "family heirloom" meaning no touching, no attaching to, but instead felt the kids should use them even if they wear them out. I sooo agreed with her on this but we lucked out and the quilts have held up very well.








5 comments:

EMBELLISHER said...

What beautiful baby quilts and what lucky grand children.

abeadlady said...

As I don't quilt, I crocheted afgans for my grandsons when they were small. They have beem well used. LOL

Arline

The Lone Beader said...

Very nice!! My sister learned how to quilt, and made me a small one once, but I have never done it.

freebird said...

Thanks for the comments ladies.

Embellisher: The kids appreciate home made goods which is what I hoped for them. They know they are lucky and loved.

Arline: I made each of them a zigzag afgan also. My daughter had to tell them they could only bring one blanket downstairs at a time as she had also made blankets and they wanted to bring down for snuggling up to 5 blankets at a time!

Lone Beader: I don't do much quilting anymore. I am enjoying beading and paperarts for the smaller sized projects a lot more now.

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

You did great work to have those quilts hold up so well over the years of use! And they're lovely quilts to boot :- ) I think I would be hurt if my grandkids didn't get to use the things I'd made for them. Fortunately my daughter understands that!