Monday, March 10, 2008

Spirit Doll Update

It's done at last! The spirit doll I was making for my sister which you can see the beginnings here is now done. I am so happy with how she turned out. I think my sister will like her. She loves flowers and though I didn't intend to make flowered fringe and hanging loop that's the way they turned out.

I finished a rosary for her daughter-in-law today also. There is a bit of a story to it. Almost two years ago my nephew and his family (living in Japan) had to flee their house in the middle of the night due to a fire. They barely got out with their children; they couldn't even save the dog or gather any belongings at all. When they were finally able to get back in they found two items unburned - a rosary of her father's and a crucifix over a door. That's it!

My nephew asked me to make a new rosary for his wife from the broken one that survived the fire. It was old and a man's style so I asked each of his sisters and his mother for 10 - 6mm beads of their own choosing and asked my nephew to send 6 - 8mm beads. I supplied the centerpiece (a fish pendant of the Hill Tribes Silver that Fire Mountain Gems sells) and silver wire. The crucifix was cleaned and reused from the old rosary. My husband drilled two holes in the bottom of the fish pendant and I blended the beads everyone sent. I'm glad my sister sent a packet of mixed colors as that helped in the blending. Now I just need to make a bag or paint a box to hold it. I plan to use my fish stamp I made and showed here to go with the fish centerpiece. I figured it should fit with the way the Japanese seem to love fish in one form and another and another!

8 comments:

abeadlady said...

What a great doll! You couldn't help but be cheerful with her around. Sorry your family had to go through that fire, but glad they all escaped without injury. The rosary is beautiful and has so much meaning behind it.

Arline

Marilyn said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. What an enjoyable visit I'm having on your's. You did a beautiful job on your beaded spirit doll. And, oh, the rosary is such a special piece and is so lovely!!!
Marilyn:)

Barbara said...

What a wonderful way to save those beautiful old beads! And I love the way you used that fish -- it's a great, unusual twist. (I adore prayer beads of all kinds -- they're just so **interesting**...)

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

You've been busy! Lovely rosary, made even better by the history behind it. The doll is fabulous too. Are you going to make a doll representing one of your fairy names? I can't wait to find out what mine would be!

The Lone Beader said...

I love the rosary- that's beautiful!

Jacq said...

I love what you did with the beads. I know that it will add so much to the rosary.

Jo Anne O. said...

I love your doll! Do you bead dolls much? I am a member of Beaded Art Dolls which is a Yahoo group...it is filled with a ton of really helpful ladies who would love to see your work!

I think that this rosary is wonderful! What a nice idea to combine old and new and create a lovely piece from the tragedy!

Hélène H said...

Wow, what a fabulous story !

I love the doll !