Monday, March 17, 2008

Second Healing Card


I have finished my second card for the Healing Cards Deck at 1,000 Faces of Mother Henna blog. This is, I think, totally different than my other card. When I talked about this with my daughter she said she thought she'd be able to pick my work out from a group of art even if I think mine don't have a common style. That made me feel good as who doesn't want to have some sense of a style- I don't want to be so chaotic there is no sameness at all in my work.
On the other side of the coin, she thinks I need to work on my printing (on the other card below) as mine is legible but has no pizzaz. I agreed with her and even saw a message about the same thing while I was reading blogs that day.
This card is pen and ink on bristol board. I used Derwent's Inktense colored pencils to color it in. These pencils after being brushed over with water turn a bright, permanent color letting you work over them again and again after they dry. I really like the pencils although I only have a set of 24 which did not include anything like a caucasian skin tone! That meant trying to add several colors very lightly and then blending them with water. It sure made me nervous!
I drew this card as a cup of tea seems to be universally comforting. I feel like a cup of tea after a long trip, a stressful day or when I'm feeling out of sorts brings a good feeling to me. The world must be okay if I can sit back and enjoy that nice, hot cup of tea! What if the whole world stopped everything at one and the same moment every day to share their common need for peace, comfort and care by having a cup around the world? Could such a small thing make a change in the world?
Now my cards go off to Mother Henna to join all the others. I sure am finding it hard to wait to see what they will all look like.

4 comments:

1,000 Faces of MotherHenna said...

Wonderful! I loooove the cup of universal comfort! Wonderful! Will add the link now...it's just fine to use PayPal... thanks and miracles to you! k-

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

I find your illustration very soothing in its' own way. I think it's the simple line drawing and gentle colors that do it. Lovely!

artbrat said...

Its a great card. I love that you included a dove on the universal cup of peace. Perfect right down to the details. Great job.

judie said...

This is great! I love it just as much as the first one. I am also excited about the discovery of Derwent Inktense colored pencils. New to me and now I see the results I am going to try to find them. I use Derwent graphite pencils and love them. Are these sort of like watercolor pencils...only ink? Exciting possibilities. I am so trying to find a medium more permanent than pastel yet pencil-like but not waxy like regular colored pencils. I'm going to search for these today. Thanks for the info!!! Again, I love your card!