Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Another TIF Update

I got another page done. This one took a bit more time for finding a picture of a jeep or truck from WWII that I could use than for any other reason.

My mother never tired of telling us kids her marine stories. She would sing the songs she learned in boot camp and the only line I can remember now is "....and it'd take Lana Turner, to fill the front of mine" referring to the bust area of her uniform! She would tell us how all women marines were patted down before leaving base (through a women's only gate) to make sure they had their girdles on! My mom was gleeful when telling about taking the governor's off the jeeps so they could go as fast as they wanted and said she flew down the hills into San Diego on her trips there. She really only had good memories that I recall.

The background of this card is acrylic paint and acrylic medium mixed together, spread over the whole card and then combed through. I had a picture of just the shoulders and head of my mom in her uniform so added some arms and
legs. You won't find any finesse in those limbs but they serve. I put the jeep in for body/clothing as that was one of the things she so enjoyed. Then I used medium to glue some sequin stars on the page and ran a blue ink pad around all the edges.

5 comments:

The Lone Beader said...

This one is really cute! I enjoyed the story, too:)

paru's_circle said...

this is one awesome work of art,your ideas are really cool, its art made with love your mum being in it, i know you truly enoyed making this piece and i truly enjoyed seeing it. thanks for coming by my blog! i have already packed up the house to send to the lovely lady (Tania) that sent me that lovely book thats also a few posts down on my blog, she has to same kind of papaers and she can complete it as shes wish i told her in my letter

soulatplay said...

hi... just lot you ATCs... thanks for commenting on my log... I've posted some pictures so you can see how I stitched two of the seams now...

Sue in western WA said...

This is a great card about your Mom! I think you did an excellent job interpreting her time in the Marines.

Beadin' Gram/aka Jackie said...

Aren't memories the greatest --this is truly a great card and I loved it.