Monday, January 14, 2008

TIF update

I have the cover done except for the binding which will be a spiral wrapped hopefully, around this blue pencil (I'll tell you why on one of my pages).


I am happy with the way the cover turned out but almost wasn't as the red Sharpie penwork started to smear when I added acrylic medium to glue on the tissue edging. I should have known better as others on the BJP have mentioned the red sharpie wasn't colorfast but I got caught up in what I was doing and didn't think about it till too late. It didn't smear so much that it ruined it; perhaps I shouldn't have said anything as it would have seemed like part of my "plan". LOL on that one!


First I gessoed two pieces of cardboard I had cut for the covers. I tore around one picture of my mom and edged it with Color Box's chalk ink. I used markers to do the checkerboard (and should have stayed with the Marvy ones for the red - you are now WARNED). A dryer sheet was dabbed with paint, dried and torn to fit a corner with a tad to go somewhere else. Then I glued the picture, dryer sheet bits and a part of one of my mother's old earrings to the front. My email address and web name were glued to the back.


I painted the inside of the covers with yellow acrylic paint to which I added pearl white. Then I toothbrush flicked some red paint across. When dry I added a purple glaze which was mostly rubbed off right away. I added flowers punched out from another section of the print tissue paper and rubber stamped butterflies on each half.


I wanted to use the same tissue for the edges as I did for my first page on the heart/body but I didn't want it to disappear on the background as tissue has a tendency to do when glue is applied so first I glued the printed tissue to plain white tissue. When it was dry I cut my strips and glued them with medium over the edges. I like how it turned out.

7 comments:

KV said...

Wow, Timaree! This TIF project is beautiful -- you did a fantastic job in spite of that sharpie pen. And, yes, no one would have ever known if you hadn't told . . .

Kathy V in NM (who thanks you for your kind comments on my blog!)

Jacqui said...

Well, you certainly seem to overcome your barriers to making art...well done. I think I know what the pencil is about but will wait to see the end result.

Glorious Hats said...

I like how it turned out too. So enjoyed reading how you did it too. Really like the use of your mother's photo and earrings.

EMBELLISHER said...

Thank-you for visiting freebird and leaving a comment.Isn't it fascinating that quite a number of us admire our mums.I'll be popping by to see your book come together.

Deb said...

Hi Timaree: Thanks for commenting on my TIF, and of course I had to come and visit. I do love your TIF challenge piece. And I am awed by your beading talent. Your pieces are beautiful. Will be checking in to watch your progress. Deb

freebird said...

Thanks Kathy. Part of my creating is to be honest not only with myself but with those who'll see my work especially if it may help them to learn how to do or not do something.

Jacqui I am glad you gave me pointers to help me relax as I find myself becoming anxious yet I can't stop creating or what would life be?

Glorious hats and Embellisher: Glad you came by. Mom's and their belongings hold sway in our lives forever, I think.

Deb: I am so glad you like my beadwork. I do it in a simple style. I like the simplicity of folk art a lot and I think it shows on my BJP pages.

kay susan said...

What a lovely idea. This is going to be quite a lot of work!