Tuesday, January 29, 2008

TIF update

I've got another page done in my ATC book for the Take It Further Challenge. This page commemorates my mother's wedding day. She got married two weeks after my dad returned from WWII. Back then, you had to wear your military uniform at all times when you were in public so she didn't get to wear a white dress and veil. She got married in her marine uniform.



My mom and dad grew up knowing each other. My dad's best friend was my mom's brother. During the war my mother wrote to my dad occasionally but they never dated till he came home from battle. My dad took my mom to see a movie called "The Best Years of Our Lives". While waiting in line a plane flew overhead. My dad threw my mother to the ground and covered her with his own body as he had flashed back to bombers just then. Maybe that's what showed my mom he cared about her!



I took the white page and layered it with light turquoise tissue paper. Over that I placed a piece of my wedding veil since my mother never got one (she made mine). Then I added the hearts and cut-out image of my parents wedding portrait. Only the lace ended up showing up, not the veil material. Then I topped it with the wording and edged the card with chalk ink. I am happy with the way it turned out.

Hopefully, today I can make at least one of the other two pages I'd like to include in this book. Stay tuned!






3 comments:

paru's_circle said...

u are one talented lady and also have a loving tender heart, God bless!

Beadin' Gram/aka Jackie said...

Somehow this entry made me want to cry. Perhaps at all the memories it evoked -- it is beautiful and should always be cherished.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I love the picture of your parents! Reminds me - I have a picture of mine in about 1943, with Daddy in his dress whites, and Mother in her "palm tree dress" that he had brought her from Hawaii - then he went overseas and later was in the Pacific Invasion Fleet - on a ship off Guadalcanal. I really should do something clever with that pic. (I was 3 years old)