Thursday, January 10, 2008

TIF update

I was really getting worried as, once I had set my
heart on an ATC book of paper dolls, I found I couldn't come up with a good figure. Finally I decided to skip the idea of a real looking figure and use the spirit of my mom instead.

So my first page of the book is of my mother's heart. On the front side I used chalk to color the white page (which is from the blank part of the photo paper as I only printed heads on part of it). Then I stamped music notes and a butterfly on top. I cut out a heart and covered it with tissue paper and placed threads under it (left from making my Christmas cards for arms and legs. The blue thread seems to have a permanent kink in it which I decided fit the image perfectly.


On the backside I wrote how I felt my mom's heart fit the image I made.

I felt good when I finished this page. It wasn't realistic and it started out with a real struggle but I like how it flowed once
I got started. I hope my other pages flow like this one and that it isn't a one time only deal.

The reason I worry is because I can't recall just making art for it's own sake before this past year after I joined the BJP. I have always been a Necessary Artist - if I needed something, I made it and if I didn't I didn't make it. So this challenge I have entered is a real challenge for me in more than one way!




3 comments:

jacqui said...

'The reason I worry is because I can't recall just making art for it's own sake before this past year after I joined the BJP. I have always been a Necessary Artist - if I needed something, I made it and if I didn't I didn't make it. So this challenge I have entered is a real challenge for me in more than one way!'

As this is a different approach to the way you normally creat it might be an idea to do some loosenly up exercises (just like you warm up for a jog) before going fall tilt into the activity.

Sit with eye shut with a pencil in your hand with a piece of paper in front. Just let your mind wander and let your hand follow. You will not end up with a masterpiece but you will be more relaxed.

Just cut up some magazine images and play with them, make up a story or just randomly put them down on some paper. Then draw on them.

Don't think to hard about things, let yourself relax and enjoy the process. Soon the ideas will be flowing.

Sue in western WA said...

I know your concern about making art for art's sake vs being a "necessary artist." Been there... still working on it! I'd say you are off to a good start. I'm also going to try to keep Jacqui's advice in mind: "Don't think too hard... let yourself relax and enjoy the process."

freebird said...

Jacqui: Thanks for the advice. That's what I love about finally finding the internet and the groups of creative people on it who share so much. It did seem that once I let go of my preconceived idea and just cut out some heads to play around with, I did relax and even had some fun! I like your pencil drawing idea and will certainly try it. It sounds like a form of meditation to me; just my style.

Sue in western wa: It feels good to know I am not the only one struggling with this concept! I plan to conquer it at least by the time I'm ninety!! LOL.